Home Ahead of print Instructions
About us Current issue Subscribe
Editorial board Archives Contact us
Search Submit article Login 
Print this page Email this page
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 17  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 135-139

Knowledge, attitude and preferred method of family planning among men living in an Urban Slum in Kano, Nigeria

1 Department of Community Medicine, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria
2 Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Idris Usman Takai
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Bayero University, PMB 3011, Kano
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None

DOI: 10.4103/njbcs.njbcs_17_19

Rights and Permissions

Context: Male involvement in family planning (FP) has a direct influence on their spouse's attitude towards the use of modern contraceptives. Aims: The aim was to determine the knowledge, attitude and preferred methods of FP among men living in an urban slum of Kano, Nigeria. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional design was used to study 110 married men living in Dorayi Quarters in Kano. Data were obtained using interviewer-administered questionnaire. Descriptive statistics were used to describe categorical variables. P <0.05 was considered statistically significant. Results: The mean age was 39 ± 11.01 years. Majority (64%) were among 22–41 age groups. Most (97.22%) of the respondents were Muslims, whereas the remaining 2.78% were Christians. Majority of the respondents (96%) were married and 62 (57.41%) had secondary education. Up to 44.4% of the respondents had good knowledge of FP, with oral contraceptive pills as the most widely known methods (80%), followed by injectable (75%), male condom was known by 73% of the respondents, withdrawal by 55% and (IUCD) intrauterine contraceptive device by 25% in that order. Almost two-third of the respondents believed that FP practice is a good practice. Respondent's family structure and educational status were also noted to significantly influence their knowledge of and attitude towards FP (P < 0.05). Conclusions: FP knowledge, attitude and preferred method among men in Dorayi is relatively higher than popular assumptions. However, health education needs to be intensified to encourage the practice of FP.

Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)

 Article Access Statistics
    PDF Downloaded58    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal