Home Ahead of print Instructions
About us Current issue Subscribe
Editorial board Archives Contact us
Search Submit article Login 
Print this page Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2015  |  Volume : 12  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 95-104

Umbilical artery Doppler velocimetry study on prediction of adverse pregnancy outcomes among pregnant women with hypertensive disorders in Kano, Nigeria


Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Bayero University Kano, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, P.M.B. 3011, Kano, Kano State, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Rabiu Ayyuba
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Bayero University Kano, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, P.M.B. 3011, Kano, Kano State
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0331-8540.169296

Rights and Permissions

Background: Doppler velocimetry studies have been widely used to predict adverse pregnancy outcomes in hypertensive disorders of pregnancies. Objective: To identify the pregnant women with hypertensive disorders for umbilical artery Doppler velocimetry to predict adverse pregnancy outcomes. Methods: This was a prospective study among 264 pregnant women with hypertensive disorders. The umbilical artery Doppler velocimetry study was conducted using 3.5 m Hz convex of the Mindry Digital Ultrasound Imaging System (Model DP-8800Plus; Shenzen Mindray Biomed Electronics, China). Results: A total of 264 pregnant women within the age of 18–40 years with a mean ± standard deviation of 31.33 ± 5.92 were studied. One hundred and twenty-four (29.90%) presented with pregnancy-induced hypertension (PIH), 72 (58.06%) had abnormal resistive indices (RIs) of at least 0.58 of which 4 had diastolic notches. The remaining 52 (41.94%) had normal RIs with no diastolic notch. Twenty (4.80%) presented with preeclampsia, 12 (60.00%) had abnormal RI of which four had diastolic notches. One hundred and twenty (28.90%) women presented with chronic hypertension, 72 (60.00%) had abnormal RI of which 16 had diastolic notches. Abnormal RI was associated with low Apgar scores and early neonatal death among the patients with PIH, low Apgar scores among patients with preeclampsia and low birth weight among chronic hypertensive pregnant women. Conclusion: We found abnormal umbilical artery Doppler velocimetry RI to be associated with adverse pregnancy outcomes. However, diverse nature of the hypertensive disorders and adverse pregnancy outcomes revealed different optimum cut-off points for various hypertensive disorders following ROC analysis.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3890    
    Printed74    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded296    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 1    

Recommend this journal