Home Ahead of print Instructions
About us Current issue Subscribe
Editorial board Archives Contact us
Search Submit article Login 
Print this page Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2013  |  Volume : 10  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 86-90

Analgesics prescription in Nigerian dental healthcare services


Department of Periodontics, University of Benin, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Clement C Azodo
Room 21, 2nd Floor, Department of Periodontics, Prof A. O. Ejide Dental Complex, University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Private Mail Bag - 1111, Ugbowo, Benin City, Edo State
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0331-8540.122768

Rights and Permissions

Introduction: Alleviation of pain is considered high priority care and service in dental and medical practice worldwide. The study was conducted to evaluate analgesics prescription among dentists in Nigeria. Materials and Methods: This descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted among dentists attending continuing education courses in Nigeria organized by the Faculty of Dental Surgery of the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria and Regional Centre for Oral Health Research and Training Initiatives for Africa. Results: Out of the 150 questionnaires distributed, 138 questionnaires were returned giving a 92.0% response rate. Males constituted 88 (63.8%) while the remaining 50 (36.2%) were females. The most common prescribed analgesic among the respondents was paracetamol 54 (39.1%). Factors that influenced the choice of prescribed analgesics among the respondents in descending order were severity of pain or intended pain, patient medical condition, type of procedure, age of the patient, delayed treatment, economic status, uncertainty of diagnosis and patient request Conclusion: The non-opioid analgesics specifically paracetamol was the most commonly prescribed by the respondents and the choice of analgesics was influenced by variety of factors .


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed6173    
    Printed164    
    Emailed1    
    PDF Downloaded542    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 2    

Recommend this journal